Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Broccoli & Squash Cornbread

In my house carbs rule - my kids seriously sometimes just ask for bread for a snack! - and not homemade bread, they'll just eat a slice of sandwhich bread!  So I quickly realized that I had to start finding great alternatives for the carb fix!
In the fall my husband loves to make his "famous" chili - famous to all of the neighborhood anyway.  But my kids aren't the best chili eaters - they don't really like the flavor not to mention the 2 home grown jalapenos the hub stashes in the chili.  So on nights that he makes chili I have to find something to go along side for the kiddos.  Tonight was that night!  I'm making Broccoli & Squash cornbread.  Of course this is not what we call it in our house - I have yet to come up with a cool, kid approved name for it, so if you have some suggestions pass 'em on!  I use a cornbread mix and add onto it to add flavor and nutritional value - the kids gobbled it up!

Ingredients:
- 1 pkg of sweet yellow cornbread mix (the kids love the sweetness)
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp sour cream
- 1 squash grated (I use a cheese grater)
- 1 cup broccoli minced (I stick it in my food processor & pulse until it's very fine pieces)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese

Directions:
- preheat oven to 400 degrees
- mix all ingredients in a bowl
- bake for 30-45 minutes until set in the center

P.S. I use a cast iron skillet - to get crispy edges put a little oil in the skillet and heat oil in the oven for about 10-15 minutes before adding cornbread batter.

Do not add water or milk to mixture because the squash and broccoli are naturally full of moisture.

Hope your family enjoys this as much as mine!  We even love it crumbled into our chili! Yummers!


No comments:

Post a Comment