Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Sweet Potato Biscuits

Sweet potatoes are the easiest "sneaky" food!  When mashed they blend right into cheesy dishes & baked goods alike!  I keep some mashed sweet potato on hand in the fridge at all times!  There are two ways that I like to cook sweet potato (SP)- in the oven or the microwave.  It is very hard to cut SPs because they are so, well - hard.  So my tip is to clean the skin of the potato very well, then wrap in either foil or plastic wrap.  If you're cooking in the oven wrap in foil & bake at 400 for about 45 minutes - 1 hour until the inside is fully cooked and soft. Make sure you place your foil wrapped SP on a baking sheet because sweet potatoes when baked naturally ooze a carmel type goo - this will make a mess if you're not careful! The quickest way and the way that I most commonly cook my taters is to wrap a cleaned SP in plastic wrap, place on a microwave safe plate and nuke it in the microwave for about 6-10 minutes depending on the size of the SP.  This method is super quick & mess free.
After your tater is cooked, peel it, mash it with a potato masher or you can use a blender, and seal it up in a tupperware container.  Don't add milk or water or any liquids when mashing your SPs- they'll be runny when you use them in other recipes!  You can also freeze your mashed SPs - just store them in a freezer bag & thaw out when you're ready to use.
For these yummy sweet potato biscuits I use 3/4 a cup of mashed sweet potatoes.  I got the recipe from good ole Paula Deen.  While I love my southern sister, I do tend to cook a little more health conscious than she typically does.  So I tweeked the recipe to fit my needs.

Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp sugar (sometimes I substitute brown sugar or agave nectar depending on what I've got on hand)
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup mashed sweet potatoes (sometimes I add a little more or a little less depending on how much I got in the ole fridge)
- 1/2 stick of softened butter (just don't use olive oil - tried that - epic fail)
- 1-2 Tbsp milk (any type will do, use whatever suits your fancy)

Directions:
- preheat oven to 450
- in a bowl mix & sift  flours, sugar, baking powder, & salt
- in a separate bowl mix the SPs & butter
- slowly add the dry ingredients to your SPs until combined
- add milk to the dough one Tbsp at a time until dough is moist & doughy
- place dough onto a floured surface and roll it around until outside of dough isn't sticky (so you can handle it without looking like a baby who's dug into their cake on their first birthday!)
- then roll out the dough to about 1/2 inch thick & cut into biscuits using a cutter or you can do it like us country folk do & use a cup of your choosing (my mother in law uses a glass coffee mug for hers)
- place biscuits onto a greased baking sheet & bake for 10-15 minutes until bottoms are browned.
- if you want to you can go the extra step before baking & brush with egg wash - but this mama of two does not have time for such fancy things.

My boys love these for breakfast with a little honey or jelly.

TIP ALERT:  When I'm baking pretty much anything - I cover the baking sheet with aluminum foil before I place my food onto the baking sheet, then when I'm finished cooking, clean up is a breeze: remove foil from sheet, throw away, place sheet back in cabinet - LOVE it!

No comments:

Post a Comment